Friday 24 June 2011

Dyspraxia & Work

    It can be strange, sometimes, how your dyspraxia often affects you in ways you don't always expect - and, no matter how many years you have to acclimatise to the condition, it will never cease to surprise you.

    For me, the latest occasion was this week, when I found out that I'd got a new job. It's a job I've been hoping to get for some time, and so to get the phone call telling me I'd got it was such an awesome feeling; anyone who's got a job they really want will know what I mean.

    Anyway, for the next couple of hours, I was as much use as a chocolate teapot; I dropped paperwork, knocked over books, forgot my password half a dozen times ... well, the list goes on. And on. And, quite possibly, on.

    I'm 30 now (D-Day - or B-Day - was last week, when I finally went kicking and screaming out of my 20's) and that's precisely how long I've had my dyspraxia. I've become a lot more adjusted to life with the condition, but when I have days like that - when my brain and body resolutely refuse to talk to each other - I've learnt to just go with the flow.

    For most of my life, I would have been bothered by that; having a day when my body doesn't seem to work. Now, however, I'm more inclined to laugh it off and just accept it. Why? Because I accept it as just being part of me; I can't change it - and don't want to change it, because it inspires me to be accepting and patient with others far more because I know what it's like to have an "invisible" condition.

    When I have a day where my dypraxia really comes to the fore, I just shrug my shoulders and get on with it; the next day, I was lugging a leaflet stand around and not letting anything get in my way. I'm fortunate to have got my new job, and I've proved to any residual demons residing in my own head that I can do a lot of things; I sometimes just have to think of different ways of approaching things. Dyspraxic people are creative and intelligent (at least that's what I tell myself!), so don't be afraid to put yourself out there and try things. If I can do it, I know you can.

2 comments:

  1. I feel really dumb, because I had to look Dyspraxia up. All the medical research I've done in the last twenty years and I don't remember ever coming across it. Oddly, it may now explain why my youngest son (he has ADHD, learning disabilities and a genius IQ) cannot hold a pencil correctly or write legibly to save his life.

    I just found your blog today and I want you to know I think you're amazing! It's people like you who help inspire me when I feel like whining.

    Congrats on your new job! May it be all you hope for! And keep up the sensational attitude!

    ♥Spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how refreshing are you?!
    How long has it taken you to have such a positive attitude towards your dyspraxia?

    Congratulations on the new job.
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete